Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Exclusive Interview: DJ Reidiculous




About one year ago I downloaded my first DJ Reidiculous remix, "The Show Goes On", original by Lupe Fiasco and I loved it! I could hear the talent in the remix and quickly checked out his other releases. I've been following the very talented house/dutch house/electro DJ/producer, DJ Reidiculous, and since then he has released numerous remixes that are all amazing! He has over 12,000 likes on Facebook and with many of his remixes having hundreds of thousands of hits, this guy is going places! I was so happy to hear that Reid Stefanick AKA DJ Reidiculous would do an interview with me! Check it out below. 


Let’s kick things off with how you started working in the music industry as a DJ/Producer?

I’ve been DJing parties ever since I was 15 or 16. I got started in the performance side of stuff long before I got into the production side of stuff. It wasn’t until I was about 20 that I started making my own music.

Tell us a little bit about yourself. How old are you? Where do you come from? Where did you attend university?

I’m 22 years old. I was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, and I attended university at a school in Northern New Jersey where I got a bachelors in radio/tv production.

Think back to a while ago to your first show. Where was it? How was the crowd? Did you get good response?

Technically, My first dj performance was a sweet sixteen for my friend. I was fifteen at the time. I did it for free, but during that party someone booked me for their sweet sixteen the following night and I made like $200 and was excited as hell. My first club performance as Reidiculous was actually only about 6 months ago at a night club in new york city. The place went bonkers and the owner and promoter invited me back for a few more nights.

Name the track you play every set, no matter what. Is there one?

Ironically, I always play my remix of 'No Hands' by Waka Flocka, which was the first remixes I ever made and posted on YouTube. As far as production quality goes, it blows, but it’s such a great hybrid rap/dance track.

Read More

What is your greatest accomplishment so far as a producer/DJ?

As a producer, my most proud accomplishment is randomly hearing my remixes on the radio while driving around. That’s always a pleasant surprise! As a DJ, I think it’s showing up to that club six months ago and fooling everyone into thinking I was a pro club DJ with tons of experience and Pioneer CDJ skills. Seeing people go crazy to music that they’ve never heard before reassures me that my time spent in front of my laptop is time well spent. Had this interview been one month later my answer may have been my set opening for Calvin Harris at Ushuaia hotel in Ibiza on August 28th. That’s gunna be cray!

Who is the best crowd you ever played for and what venue it was at?

I’ve definitely had some fun nights at clubs in NYC. Some of my favorite events to perform at are actually proms. Those New Jersey kids show up to rage, and there’s always some fun moments. But again, once I’ve played in Ibiza, I’m sure I’m going to want to switch my answer haha.

Everyone has their favourite pre-drink before they go on, what is yours?

(Epic mealtime voice) JACK DANIELS and Coke

Favorite dinner to eat?

Fillet Mignon Steak with a side of mashed potatoes. Cooked medium, please.

Are you a DJ first then producer, or visa versa?

If you go in chronological order I’m a DJ first, but I am working more towards becoming a music producer. If you can write a hit song, the great performances will follow.

How have you enjoyed working at the Elvis Duran show? That must be pretty cool!

Working there is a dream come true for so many reasons. My coworkers are the best, I get to create content that get’s aired every day, my Friday mixes get a great response from listeners, and the networking opportunities are incredible.

What’s your most sought after remix? Were you expecting that?

On my first youtube channel (which got terminated due to too many copyright claims against me) my big remix was We Found Love. On my new channel, that remix isn’t doing so well, but Call Me Maybe is bigger than I ever anticipated. I think it’s at about 2 million views now.

When can we expect the next release from you? Any hints?

I still do everything myself, so there’s no record label that’s going to punish me for giving out any classified information about upcoming projects haha. I just put out a single called “Now” which features my vocals and production. I would like to make another one before my show on August 28th, but I want to find a female singer with a unique voice to be featured on it. Other than that, I post a new top 40 remix almost every week.

What are your plans for the rest of the summer? Are there any big shows coming up?

I have 3 residencies in the NJ and NY area, which keep me busy. Other than that, it’s all about the Ibiza show. I know most of my fans can’t make it out there, so I’m trying to arrange some quality audio/video coverage for everyone in the internet world. 

If you had five words of advice for an aspiring DJ/Producer, what would they be?

Establish
An
Active
YouTube
Channel

Lastly, do you want this forever?

Hell Yes! Being a music producer and EDM performer would be an ideal way to make a living.

Check out DJ Reidiculous' latest remix to Fergie's, "Feel Alive", below! 




Like DJ Reidiculous of Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djreidiculous
Follow DJ Reidiculous on Twitterhttp://www.twitter.com/djreidiculous
Follow DJ Reidiculous on Soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/reidiculousremix

2 comments: