Thursday, May 10, 2012

Diamond In the Rough: Spotlight Feature - ClassAct (New Original & Interview)

Photo By: Chanelle Ullman


This weeks Spotlight Feature brings an absolute favourite of mine. Allow me to formally introduce you to ClassAct. He's progressive, he's unique, and most of all, he pumps out amazing work through a spectrum of genres! About a week ago, ClassAct released his original mix, Alone, which is a dark, mysterious dubstep song that is quite incredible. The song leaves me with shivers pretty much every time I listen to it. He has a very unique sound with this track and I love it. Mellow dubstep at its finest. Also, enjoy an interview I did with Jordan this past week. We talk his new identity, his newer sounds, and what the future holds for this amazingly talented young man. Check out his latest track, Alone, and and the interview below!

Enjoy, 




ClassAct? New name? New man? How did that come to be?

Since the beginning of my career, I've been under the name Rockwell. I had a few releases on "BedroomRecords09", a label out of Romania, and a few remixes that became pretty popular. I wasn't content with sharing the same name as other Rockwell artists, and it got to the point where our releases were clashing under the same name on Beatport and iTunes. I wanted a name that was iconic and noticeable - I thought ClassAct sounded just right. 



How would you describe your style of music?

At this point in my career, I've been trying almost every genre. I like to find my influences from various genres and incorporating it into 'EDM' to make something new and different. I've been consistently making house and electronic music, but I'm going to be releasing some tracks that don't necessarily fall into that category. 


How long have you been producing for?

I've been producing music since the age of 12. I started recording sounds with an 8 track recorder, and soon ventured into using computer software. I got serious about producing in high school, and started using Ableton - I don't think I'll ever find a program better than Ableton. It's the best.


What is your favourite crowd you have ever played for?

I played at the Guvernment at the start of this year for U of T's frosh event. I couldn't believe how many people showed up, it really blew my mind. Half of my set was my own material, and they loved it. I even crowd surfed a few times. One of the best nights of my life.


When can we expect more amazing music from you?

It probably seems like I haven't been releasing much this year, but I have a ton of tracks that I'm really eager to finish and give out. I'll be releasing a single in the next week or so, and after that I hope to release a few per month over the summer. Big stuff coming soon. Moombahton.


What is your favourite drink (alcoholic)?

It's the name of my next single, Bombay.


What is your greatest accomplishment in the music industry?

I think I'd have to say the success of my 'Video Games' remix. I remember seeing my remix on thissongissick.com with 20,000 hits in less than a day. I legitimately couldn't believe it - I missed my class that day and just went to the studio and worked on new stuff. It gave me the motivation to keep making music. It's an awesome feeling to know that hard work pays off. It's currently sitting at around 100,000 views. I still can't believe it. 


Do you have any shows lined up for the near future?

As of now, I'm really focusing on producing and making a sound for myself. I've got some local shows in Toronto, and hopefully in London in the near future. I'm still at the point where I love spinning in crammed basements and just going hard. Any show is worth it. 


What are your plans for ClassAct in the future?

I love to work with different artists and collaborate. I think I'll always make music.


Do you want this to be forever?

If it was my choice, I would devote my whole life to making music. I would love to have the chance to travel and play for crowds around the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment